October 13, 2012

My favorite Breakfast

 Breakfast is the most important meal of the Day! I try to eat clean and as natural as possible. Organic is the best. Because I have what I call a "Wacky Pancreas" I suffer from Insulin Resistance. So for me Protein is my friend! What better protein in the morning than an egg. This is my favorite fun breakfast. I used Red sweet peppers as an egg mold, added fresh tomatoes and basil from my organic garden. To top it off, I made a Pumpkin Pie Smoothie to go with it. Gotta eat that "rainbow" of fruits and veggies a day. Usually I overload the veggies in the morning for a great start.
Here my recipe:

     Eggs with Pepper molds

-Peppers, your choice of green, red or yellow.
-Eggs
-Extra Virgin Olive Oil
-Salt & Pepper, or other spices. I love adding onion powder, and garlic to eggs.

Directions:

Add about a Tablespoon of Olive Oil to your fry pan, You can use a non-stick spray, but I love the taste and enjoy the benefits of using Olive Oil. Clean and slice your peppers about one inch or so from the bottom. Use slices that give you the most area for the egg. Add your pepper to the pan. Cook about two minutes. Crack your egg into the pepper mold. Cook the egg for a minute, and then carefully flip the whole egg and pepper mold over. Continue to cook your egg. Depending on how you like your eggs cooked. Once done, transfer the eggs to a plate, add diced or chopped tomatoes and basil or your favorite toppings.



Power Pumpkin Pie Smoothie

It is that time of year again. Pumpkins and Squash, Oh My! I use this as a great power drink as an add on or just as a snack.

Blender
1 cup of pumpkin
Pumpkin pie spice, add to taste
1 cup of plain yogurt
1/2 of a Banana
2 Tbls. of Ground flax seed
Non-fat skim milk


Directions:

Add all the ingredients into the blender. I am a "by taste"girl, so I adjust the spices to what I like. I love Cinnamon so I tend to put a bit more in. Plus Cinnamon is great for controlling blood sugar from highs and lows. Blend all together. I add a bit of milk to not make the smoothie so thick.



2 comments:

Lisa/Fresh Eggs Daily Farm Girl said...

Heather, I love your blog! Thank you so much for linking up to my blog fest this week. I would also like to ask if you would like to join us as a contributing blogger over at Farm Chick Chit Chat. I see you are already a follower! I love brand new blogs - sometimes older blogs get stale, but new blogs has such fresh new ideas. Email me at: lisa@fresh-eggs-daily.com if you are interested. Free to join, no obligation. We would love to have you join us. Lisa

Unknown said...

Thanks! I would love to join you! I am humbled by your offer!

Heather