December 30, 2012

A "new" New Year's Eve Munchie.


 With New Year's Eve just a day away, my family is already asking what "goodies" we are going to munch on for the big night.  Ugh, I do not know about you but I am still trying to recover from all the eating that we did from Christmas! When I suggested we do not have anything, we almost had mutiny here in the ol' homestead. The tradition of each person picking out a munchie for the big night runs strong in this clan, I was out numbered!

Since I am trying to whittle down to the "Goddess I Truly Am Inside" I came up with a NOT as fattening goodie for me. I found that I had some mini sweet peppers back in the fridge. (I like to say I buy these for the health benefit, well I sort of do, but I am a sucker for anything little and cute.) Sorry, I digress...

With my stock of what not in the refrigerator, a bit of creativity, "Savory Stuffed Sweet Peppers" came to life!

Savory Stuffed Sweet Peppers

Believe me they are just as yummy as they look! The best part is these are ALL mine! (Insert Evil laugh here!) My kids and hubby are not pepper fans. Here is how I made them:

Ingredients:

*For a serving of Eight Peppers

8 Mini Sweet Peppers
 4 oz. Low-fat cream cheese
1/4 cup of low-fat cheddar cheese
2 slices of bacon, crumbled
1 tsp. of onion powder
1 tsp. of garlic powder
1 tsp. of Oregano
Black Pepper to taste


Clean and hollow out the peppers, removing the steam and seeds. In a separate bowl, mix all the other ingredients together.  Spoon the mixture into the peppers to fill them. Now for the tricky part. Baking them standing up so your mixture does not spill out of the pepper. I have seen baking pans that are made for Jalapeno Poppers. They have small holes to allow the pepper to stand up. I do not have one, so I just used a mini muffin pan to keep them in their up right position.I also use this idea when I make Stuffed Mushrooms. I am all about using what you already have in your kitchen. Bake them at 325 degrees for about 15 minutes or until the pepper is soft. I put sprigs of Marjoram on the tops for an added sweet taste.

Enjoy!





 



2 comments:

A Daughter of the King said...

What a great tradition. Happy New Year!

Tiffany said...

These look amazing! I'm definitely picking up mini peppers on our next "shopping day " and giving this a whirl! Yum! Thanks for sharing!